Lime is a citrus fruit known for its vibrant green color and sweet yet sour refreshing taste. Many species of lime differ in characteristics (shapes, aroma, and flavor), to name a few: key lime, Persian lime, desert lime, and makrut lime.
Beyond its flavor, this fruit contains nutrients that promote a more robust immune system, prevent kidney stones, create healthier skin, and reduce heart disease.
Let’s discover the benefits that make lime a powerhouse fruit!
The main nutrient that citrus fruit is known for is Vitamin C and that includes lime. Vitamin C can help protect you from infection and inflammation, and enhance the healing process of your body.
Accompanied by a healthy lifestyle and proper skincare, adding lime to your water or food can improve the texture and complexion of your skin through the help of vitamin c and flavonoids.
Reduces the risk of heart disease
Lime is rich in potassium which can lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation. It also contains magnesium which plays a significant role in the heart’s healthy rhythm.
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbs honey, more to taste (optional)
- 10 to 15 mint leaves
- 4 to 6 ounces of sparkling water, or club soda
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
- Gather the ingredients.
- Cut the lime into wedges (about 4 or 5), reserving one for garnish. Add the remaining wedges along with the honey syrup to a tumbler. Muddle well to release all of the lime juice.
- Add the mint, tearing each leaf into smaller pieces, and muddle gently to release the herb’s essence.
- Fill the glass with ice then sparkling water or soda. Add more honey syrup, if desired. Stir well to incorporate the lime and mint into the ice.
- Garnish with the reserved lime wedge and a sprig of mint. Serve and enjoy.
Adapted from The Spruce Eats