Can I tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! It’s super fresh, fast, healthy, detox friendly, paleo and gluten free. What’s not to love?!? This is a dish even YOUR KIDS are going to eat. My dog Brie enjoys any leftover zoodles!
This is a 20 minute one pan dish if you follow my preparation and kitchen tool techniques and I especially enjoy it during the summer. I keep the zucchini cold and cover the cold zoodles with the heat meat, veggie, sauce combo and it becomes a fresh summer dish for these hot hot hot Southern summer days.
You can also substitute grass fed beef for the organic turkey if you wish.
In this recipe I use a jar of marinara in order to save time for those quick weekday meals. When choosing your sauce choose one without any added sugars and I always buy one that has the least amount of sugar/carbs listed on the label. Some fantastic brands are: Organico Bello, Cucina Antica,
Also, be sure to have your tools on hand to make your life EASIER – Two kitchen items I cannot live without is my garlic roller/peeler – seriously if you don’t have one of these you need one. I can peel my garlic in 3 seconds flat with this bad boy. Also you’ll want a spiralizer to make those yummy zoodles. With this tool I can zoodle a zucchini in about 20 seconds. Dinner in 20 minutes? BOOM!
Here’s to healthy quick meals!
Italian Turkey Zoodles
- 2 medium zucchini – spiralized
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- One medium onion – diced
- 8 oz mushrooms – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 24oz jar of no sugar added marinara sauce
- Fresh basil chopped
- Spiralize your zucchini and put the spiralized zucchini on a paper towel to drain while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add organic turkey, onion, mushrooms and garlic and cook until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; breaking up turkey into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Put pan back on the burner and turn the heat down to a simmer
- Add your marinara sauce – I usually use ¾ of a jar – just depends on how wet you want your dish.
- Stir in your spices.
- Let the pan simmer until all ingredients are well mixed and warm.
- Place a cup of spiralized zucchini on your plate, spoon your turkey, veggie, sauce mixture over the zucchini. Garnish with chopped basil.